The Phantom Machine Works (PMW) team strives to keep the hardware for their turnkey appliances based on readily available commodity components. We also strive to use a minimum number of components so that there are fewer failure points. This way you can keep just a single set of spares on site and use that set to repair any of the various appliances.
The hardware listed on this page, is the hardware that PMW currently uses for software development, testing, and proof-of-concept projects. All of the software is open source, and can be used on many different hardware configurations. The software may require custom configuration compared to what PMW distributes with its appliances and pre-configured software “kits”, or may have performance and compatibility issues.
PMW offers many hardware options not listed here, and also offers consultation on using open source audio software on your recycled or preferred hardware combinations.
Common Base Components
- ASRock Q1900-ITX Motherboard
- ASRock Q1900M Motherboard
ESI Juli@ XTe Audio Interface
- Digigram VX222e Audio Interface
- Internal USB 3.0 Header to type A female adapter
- Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drives
- Low voltage DDR3 RAM to keep power use and heat to a minimum
Add-on, Upgrade, and cost saving Components
- PCIe x1 Riser with flexible cable - needed for some enclosures
- SSD - So far only Samsung and Mushkin models tested
- ART USB Dual Pre audio interface - still in testing
- Mini-box.com Pico LCD - still in development and testing
- Mini-box.com PicoPSU-80 - (various power ratings) used for fanless/silent applications
- Athena Power RM-1U100DR case with custom rear panel inserts - CAD files coming soon!
- Athena Power RM-2U200H3 case with custom rear panel inserts - CAD files coming soon!
- Athena Power RM-3U300 series cases with custom rear panel inserts - CAD files coming soon!
- Athena Power RM-4U400 series cases with custom rear panel inserts - CAD files coming soon!
- iStarUSA S21 series case with custom rear panel inserts - CAD files coming soon!
- Custom internal mounting brackets - CAD files coming soon!
Connectors and Cables
- Standard Amphenol chassis mount XLR, RCA, and shielded RJ45 connectors
- CAT7 cable used for many audio connections